HOME PAGE

Monday, April 1, 2013

Tanzanian born regarded as Britain's most influential



David Adjaye, the architect chosen to design Washington DC's $500mNational Museum of African American History and Culture, has topped a list of Britain's most influential black people, ahead of double Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah and The Wire star Idris Elba.
In the sixth edition of the annual PowerList, the top 100 people regarded as role models in their fields, the Tanzanian-born founder of Adjaye Associates is hailed as an inspirational figure who saw off financial crisis during the recession to become one of the country's most high-profile architectsDescribe the first building that inspired you.
I was seven years old when I saw the pyramids at Giza for the first time. The scale of them was like nothing I had ever experienced.
What was your big breakthrough?
Winning the competition to design the Idea Store for Whitechapel, in east London. It elevated me from just doing domestic, residential projects, to engaging with the public realm.
Who or what have you sacrificed for your art?
My private life. I don't have enough play time.
What's the greatest threat to architecture?
Its lack of relevance to contemporary life. Architecture has become more about spectacle than buildings.
What work of art would you most like to own?
One of Josef Albers' Square paintings - they have a very powerful abstractionist sensibility. Or any Benin bronze. They're amazing objects, and recall a great culture.
Is there anything about your career you regret?
Having a very public rant with Janet Street-Porter about my design for her house. I don't regret the rant, so much as the fact it became public.
If someone saw one of your buildings in 1,000 years' time, what would it tell them about the year 2008?
I'm not sure any of my buildings are built well enough to last that long. But if someone did see one, it would show that this was a time of questioning and renewal.
Do you care about fame?
Not at all. I do care about professional recognition, but that's a different thing.
In the movie of your life, who plays you?
Chiwetel Ejiofor. We don't look at all similar, but he's a great actor.
What's the best advice anyone ever gave you?
I once met a company director, who said to me: "Just concentrate on what you do best, and leave the rest to others." It's been imprinted on my head ever since.

In short

Born: Tanzania, 1966
Career: Won a Riba bronze medal in 1993. Works include London's Whitechapel Idea Store, and collaborations with artists Olafur Eliasson and Chris Ofili.

No comments:

Post a Comment